The Goethals Bridge will be closed overnight on Friday, October 7 into the following morning for bridge replacement work. Travel delays are expected throughout the three-day weekend, especially during peak travel times.
To avoid expected delays, drivers are encouraged to avoid the Goethals Bridge throughout the weekend, and consider using the Bayonne Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing as alternatives. The Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing will remain fully open through Columbus Day weekend.
Special note to members of the Transportation, Logistics, and Distribution community: Over dimensional cargo will not be permitted to transit the Goethals Bridge from 2 p.m. Friday, October 7 through 10 p.m. Tuesday, October 11.
The lane closures and diversions are part of the Port Authority’s ongoing Goethals Bridge Replacement Project. They will allow the demolition and replacement of the Travis Spur Rail Bridge that carries Conrail trains over Interstate 278 in Staten Island, immediately west of the Goethals Bridge toll plaza.
The replacement project will also allow expansion of the roadway approaching the Goethals Bridge from four lanes (two eastbound and two westbound) to six lanes, three in each direction.
Please note the following specifics:
Construction work during Columbus Day weekend will require the following lane closures and diversions:
- The Goethals Bridge will be fully closed from 10 p.m. Friday, October 7 through 8 a.m. Saturday, October 8.
- At 8 a.m. Saturday, October 8, the bridge will reopen, with traffic diverted on I-278 and Gulf Road in Staten Island, before reaching or after leaving the bridge.
- These diversions will remain until 3 p.m. Monday, October 10, at which point normal traffic will resume.
- These changes are expected to result in traffic delays.
- Gulf Avenue will be closed. Traffic exiting the Port will be detoured to Western Avenue and Richmond Terrace. Detour signs will be in place.”
- Over dimensional cargo will not be permitted to transit the Goethals Bridge from 2 p.m. Friday, October 7 through 10 p.m. Tuesday, October 11.
Following this work, the Port Authority will implement nightly lane closures on I-278 between the toll plaza and the Goethals Bridge in order to repave and expand the lanes approaching the Goethals Bridge.